How do I apply?

Different programs require different applications. Click here to return to the main Economic Services and Supports page and select the type of program for which you want to apply for more detailed information.

I am filling out a Combined Application Form and the program I want is not listed. Is this the right form?

The combined application can be used for many different programs. A financial worker will determine for which programs you are eligible. 

Check FOOD to apply for the Supplement Nutrition Program (SNAP)
Check CASH to apply for all Cash programs, including MFIP, DWP, MSA, and GA
Check EMER to apply for Emergency Assistance (to prevent eviction / utility shut offs)

The combined manual cannot be used to apply for Burial, Child Support, Child Care, or Healthcare. Click here to return to the main Economic Services and Supports page and select a specific program for more information.

What other things do I need to turn in with my application?

All that is needed to start the process is the application. If your program requires an interview, the financial worker will schedule an interview for you and discuss what else is needed with you at the interview. If the program does not require an interview, the financial worker will notify you via mail what else is needed to complete the application process once they have reviewed your application. Different programs have different requirements; however common items needed are proof of identity, income, and assets.

What happens after I turn in my application?

Your application will be routed to the appropriate team for processing. Depending on the exact program, an interview and other further verifications may be required. The county will notify you, usually via mail, of an interview time and anything that is needed to complete the application process. 

How long will it take to process my application or document?

Processing times vary by program, document type, additional application requirements, and the specifics of your case. Due to this variation, we cannot give you a specific date by which your application or documents will be processed. St Louis County follows all processing timelines set forth by the Federal and State government and we do our best to give priority to urgent cases. 

What are your office hours and other contact information?

Office hours, locations, and other contact information can be found here

Can I submit my documents via email?

For all St. Louis County locations, please use the following email: 

NOTE: In order to process your documents accurately and timely, it is your responsibility to include identifiable information such as name, date of birth, case number.   If you did not include identifiable information, your document(s) may not be processed.   Thank you!

I have questions; can I meet with a worker?

Due to the large volume of cases we handle, most correspondence is via mail and phone. If you have a question about your case, you should call your team. If you do not have a team yet or do not know your team’s phone number, call 1-800-450-9777. There are free phones available in our lobbies. 

I am open on benefits, how do I report a change?

You can report a change either by calling your team or submitting the change in writing. All notices you receive about your benefits include your team’s phone number. If you do not know your team’s phone number, call 1-800-450-9777 for assistance in reaching your team. You can mail your change to ADDRESS or drop it off at one of our locations

Why did my benefits end?

Any time a program closes or is denied, a letter is sent, so please read all notices you receive from the County. If you do not have your notice, you can call your team to discuss the status of your case. Your team’s phone number is listed on all notices we send out concerning your case. If you do not know your team’s phone number, call 1-800-450-9777 for assistance in reaching your team.

I am having an issue with my EBT card.

EBT accounts are managed by EBT Edge. Their phone number is 1-888-997-2227.

Why did someone I know receive more benefits than me?

Every case is different and the eligibility calculations for many programs are complex. We cannot discuss someone else’s case with you do to data privacy laws. 

Click here for more information about reporting potential fraud and abuse.

I don’t agree with a decision on my case. What can I do?

You always have the right to appeal. For some programs, an appeal can be taken over the phone. However, many appeals need to be made in writing. If you are submitting an appeal in writing, include your name, case number, the date, the program, and the details of what specific decision you are appealing and mail or drop it off at one of our locations.