Special Use Permit FAQS


How do I know if I need to apply for a special use permit?

The use of the county road right-of-way for special events must be approved by the Public Works Department through the “Special Use Permit”. Examples of special events include 5k races, marathons, auto shows or street dances.

What do I need to do to get a special use permit, and when is the latest I can submit my permit request?

The Special Use Permit application is available online in the St. Louis County permit system. Click on Permits & Applications on the Public Works webpage. Applications are only accepted through this online system. 

The permit will require the following items:

  • Insurance certificate (see the permit application for required coverage)
  • Traffic control plan (how traffic will be maintained safely through and around the event)
  • Payment for the permit application

Special Use Permits must be submitted at least 30 days before the date of the special event. Applications submitted less than 30 days before the special event date may not be approved.

What is a traffic control plan and who qualifies as adequate personnel when it comes to ensuring participant safety?

A traffic control plan is a document that lays out the event (like a map) and shows placement of traffic control devices and personnel. Qualified personnel include event staff and law enforcement. The cost of traffic control is the responsibility of the special event organizer(s). St. Louis County does not provide traffic control devices. It is recommended that you contact the Permit Technician at 218-625-3830 to discuss your special event and traffic control needs. Traffic control layouts can be very different across different types of special events. 

How long does it take to approve my Special Use Permit application after I submit it?

Processing times vary based upon the complexity of the special event, however most permit applications are approved within five (5) business days after submittal. To minimize the time it takes to approve your application, it is important to have all the required documentation.

Who do I contact with questions related to Special Use Permits?